You can catch a hacker if you want to. It all depends on how careful you go about it.
Even with the best security measures, company networks, web sites, school computers etc can still get hacked because, the hackers invent the equipments. To catch a hacker is not an easy thing but you can still try. I’ve said its not easy because, skilled attackers can disguise their identity and attack destinations. Maybe with telnet
or any other means.
Look at the techniques in the tutorials.They give you an insight on how a hacker makes an attack. There are also some network montoring software programs that can help to an extent. Atleast one can notice an attack before it goes beyond control. There are also lots of tools in the tool section which can help especially network monitoring tools like wireshark.
You’ll notice some of these activities when an intruder is into your system;
- Your hard drive activity increases. It is busier than ussual.
- Your computer suddenly runs very slow.
- You’ll find numerous files in your temp folder.
- Some of your files may be tampered with, edited, deleted or corrupt.
- Your wall paper and desktop files are rearranged.
- Your bank data and cards are tampered with.
- There are persistent requests from the same Ip address to your firewall. If you have the security tools, you’ll know from their alerts.
If you notice all these, some of the following suggestions would help;
- Check the temp files. You may find some suspicious files.
- Wait for another attack and gather as much evidence as you can. Also have some network monitoring software in place.
- Note the time and origin of attack even though hackers are very careful in trying not to leave a trace. Just try.
- Quickly get the cops involved once you have enough evidence and the nature of the attack is grave.
- Do not let the hacker know all these traps are set for him. Try not to reach out to other people on the same system about the incident because he’ll always anticipate such moves.
- Shut down the system
This is just the best thing I’ll advice anyone to do. Once you do this, the evidence is not shattered and is taken to experts for collection and tracing. Tracing is possible when you take the exact safety measures as I’ve mentioned in my response to incidents page.
Hackers contribute. Your opinions are needed on how to achieve this.